This evening on Rai Movie airs They called him Jeeg Robot, the 2015 film directed and produced by Gabriele Mainetti which saw the participation of two of the most talented actors on the Italian scene or Claudio Santamaria e Luca Marinelli. Let's find out some curiosities about this extraordinary film.
- The director did not want Ilenia Pastorelli in the role of the female lead. In fact, Mainetti thought that a newcomer from the world of reality shows would not be able to best interpret a character as complex as Alessia. He was convinced to hire her only after the intercession of Nicola Guaglianone who oversaw the subject of the film.
- Against all expectations, the film achieved excellent results at the box office, debuting with a collection of 83,000 euros and exceeding over 5 million euros at the end of the programming despite an estimated cost of around 1.7 million euros.
- The screenplay of Lo Chiamavano Jeeg Robot, arrived in the hands of Claudio Santamaria in 2013 but, the actor was already busy with Tornerà i Prati, a drama written and directed by Ermanno Olmi. Mainetti, however, wanted the lead role to be assigned to no other actor and so he decided to postpone the production of the film.
- To play the role of Enzo Ceccotti, Claudio Santamaria had to put on about 20 kg, reaching a total weight of over 100 kg.
- The song we listen to in the credits is a modern version of the famous anime theme song. It was rearranged by Mainetti himself and then interpreted by Santamaria.
If you love this film too much, take a look at our review of They Called Him Jeeg Robot.