News

Conavim reported that violence against women did not rise during the quarantine

(Photo: REUTERS / Luisa Gonzalez)
(Photo: REUTERS / Luisa Gonzalez)

Andrés Manuel López Obrador, President of Mexico, assured that family violence did not increase during social isolation due to the COVID-19 health emergency; on the contrary, he said that there was a reunion of the families.

On the other hand, the president assured that at least 90% of calls for violence against women recorded since the start of the National Day of Sana Distancia are false and he mentioned that it is a proven fact, but he did not give sources that endorse his words.

Now is the National Commission to Prevent and Eradicate Violence Against Women (Conavim), the person responsible for supporting the president's words, since they assured that violence has not escalated in Mexican families.

Calendaria Ochoa Ávalos, head of the Conavim, revealed to The universal that the increase in 911 calls is not a lie, but there is no growth in terms of refuge applicationsHe even revealed that there are still many spaces left.

The numbers that circulate, he assured, are not in the hands of Conavim, because in the institution there was a decrease in the number of calls and attention in the justice centers during the months of April and May.

It must be remembered that during March, the Mexico City assistance service, Locatel, registered a peak in calls for violence against women in the capital and metropolitan area, which decreased for the month of April, when they registered 11,610 requests for emergency to ask for guidance.

(Photo: REUTERS / Gustavo Graf)
(Photo: REUTERS / Gustavo Graf)

Regarding the supposed 90% in the falsity of the calls, it revealed that they had close to 17 million alerts in 911, but nothing more than 23% were proven or true, while the other 77% were inadmissible or completely false. Only 7.56% of the calls corresponded to violence against women.

READ  Pak speaking on Kashmir, silent on Uigar issue, said- Fellow playing with China

Calendaria Ochoa also said that these are figures that both Conavim and the National Institute for Women (Inmujeres), the Ministry of the Interior (Segob) and the National Institute of Social Development (Indesol). In fact, it ensures that they have held constant meetings since March 5, 2020.

He also accepted that the average where nine out of 10 feminicides occur at the hands of someone within the family circle, but revealed that in these cases it is useful to distinguish contexts, because "not all Public Prosecutor's Offices investigate the crime of femicide as a femicide and end up in other accounts.

Lastly, Ochoa Ávalos assured that to change domestic violence, you need to bet on building new values familiar as "democracy, inclusion, honesty and equality." In addition, he said, of the distribution of domestic work, to which men should join.

"Today we have to continue spreading the idea that those values, equality, justice, respect, democracy and honesty must be present in the family or in families, I would say," he revealed to the newspaper with national circulation.

(Photo: REUTERS / Michelle Freyria)
(Photo: REUTERS / Michelle Freyria)

Andrés Manuel López Obrador, for his part, assured in the most recent morning press conferences from the National Palace that Morena has always been against gender violence, particularly of femicides and hate crimes.

"That must be very clear, (we do it) for Humanitarian reasons. If we were conservative we would not mind the issue, but we came from a social struggle years in defense of the poor, the helpless, the women", said.

READ  Inmujeres accepted that 91% of victims of violence do not report, but not that calls are

In addition, he assured that his opponents they want to position the government of the Fourth Transformation as an enemy of feminism. However; He assured that, unlike the conservatives, in their mandate they have convictions, principles, and they are "humanists".

MORE ABOUT THE SUBJECT:

López Obrador's controversial statement: "90% of calls for violence against women are false"

During the quarantine there was a family reunion, no gender violence: AMLO

AMLO again questioned the increase in domestic violence during the health emergency

About the author

Avatar

Sam Conley

Sam Conley is new to online journalism but she is keen to learn. She is an MBA from a reputed university. She brings together relevant news pieces from various industries. She loves to share quick news updates. She is always in search of interesting news so that she can share them as well to Sunriseread's readers who could enjoy them with their morning coffee.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Quick Contact!

To get in touch with Sunriseread or to tell us about a Story or Press Release, just send an email to lindahopkins128 @ gmail.com
. And, we will get back to you shortly.