Historical past made! NASA astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir grew to become the 2 first girls to participate within the all-female spacewalk. Right here’s what it’s essential find out about Dr. Jessica Meir following this main milestone.
Jessica Meir, 42, has gone interstellar! The NASA astronaut embarked exterior of the Worldwide House Station on Oct. 18 along with her fellow crew member Christina Koch, 40. The 2 girls have made historical past as the primary two astronauts to participate in NASA’s first all-female spacewalk. However there’s a lot extra to those two girls than the key milestone they’re making exterior of Earth’s orbit. Listed here are 5 issues it’s essential find out about Jessica Meir earlier than the pair come again right down to Earth from their unbelievable journey.
1) Her journey exterior of the Worldwide House Station was a part of an necessary mission. Whereas there’s no denying Jessica and her fellow crew member, Christina, are making historical past of their area stroll, the pair are journeying exterior of the station for a particular goal. Jessica and Christina have been tasked to repair a damaged a part of the station’s solar energy community. Whereas the time constraint on this particular mission will not be as strenuous, the second they’re sharing is monumental and out of this world!
2) Jessica all the time had an curiosity in area. The astronaut’s schooling background is extraordinarily spectacular and reveals simply how a lot Jessica was devoted to exploring, discovering and learning what lies past Earth’s orbit. After graduating from Caribou Excessive Faculty in Maine, Jessica earned her Bachelor of Arts diploma in Biology from Brown College in 1999. She then went on to earn a Grasp of Science diploma in House Research from Worldwide House College in 2000. What’s extra, she additionally earned a Doctorate in Marine Biology (diving physiology) from Scripps Establishment of Oceanography (UCSD) in 2009.
3) She’s been to different chilly locations apart from area. Throughout her Ph.D. analysis, Jessica studied the diving physiology of marine mammals and birds. Her most important topics have been emperor penguins and elephant seals, learning how their oxygen depletion within the wild. For her analysis, Jessica traveled to the Antarctic. Later in her profession, Jessica traveled again to the acute situations, collaborating within the Smithsonian Establishments diving expeditions.
4) Jessica has acquired a slew of awards and honors. Amongst her honors, Jessica has acquired distinction from the American Physiological Society Early Profession Advocacy Science Coverage Fellowship (2013), the Nationwide Science Basis Worldwide analysis Put up-doctoral Fellowship (2009), Philanthropic Instructional Group (PEO) Scholar Award (2008), Achievement Rewards for School Scientists (ARCS) Fellowship (2006), Division of Protection Nationwide Protection Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG Fellowship (2003), and lots of extra!
5) She’s been with NASA since 2000. Jessica started her work with NASA in 2000. Between the years of 2000 to 2003, Jessica labored for Lockheed Martin’s Human Analysis Facility, providing her assist to the groups learning physiology analysis on the area shuttle and Worldwide House Station. Ten years later, nevertheless, Jessica was chosen in June 2013 to be one of many eight members of the 21st NASA astronaut class. Following her candidacy, Jessica underwent a ton of intensive coaching and technical briefings to prepared for her time in area and on the Worldwide House Station.