UK to impose mandatory 14-day isolation on travelers arriving from abroad to prevent spread of new coronavirusNorthern Ireland Minister in Charge Brandon Lewis said Friday.
"People arriving in the UK will have to be quarantined" in order to "contain" the transmission of the disease, " Lewis said on television Sky News.
“Obviously, returning British citizens will be able to quarantine at home. Visitors will have to make arrangements to carry out this quarantine for 14 days "he added.
This measure will be reviewed “every three weeks”, according to the minister.
Brandon Lewis said that "at the moment" no exception is foreseen for people from countries with a low transmission rate.
According to the British press, Random checks will be applied to travelers, who may be fined up to 1,000 pounds (about 1,117 euros, $ 1,221).
However, there will be exceptions for carriers and medical personnel as well as for Irish citizens.
The United Kingdom will start a progressive deconfinement from June 1.
The number of deaths from COVID-19 in the United Kingdom reached Thursday 36,042, after being added to the official count 338 dead, in a day in which they have been notified 2,615 new infections.
In the whole of the country they have been carried out in 24 hours 128,340 test, while England maintains its plans to lower the confinement as of June 1, and Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland work on their own roadmaps for de-escalation.
Hundreds of English schools have warned that will not follow the recommendations of the Executive of the Prime Minister, the conservative Boris Johnson
In Scotland, the main minister of the region, the nationalist Nicola Sturgeon, advanced today that schools will recover their activity from August 11, with a mixed system of face-to-face classes and learning at home.
The British Government works against the clock to have ready in ten days the system that you have designed to detect and trace contagion chains once progress is made to the next phase of de-confinement.
Downing Street, the Prime Minister's official office, has assured that he has already been hired 24,000 people who will interview potential infected by telephone and determine who they were in contact with.
The application for mobile phones that will complement this strategy, which will allow detecting if a user has been in physical contact with someone infected, will not however be ready on June 1, but will take "weeks" to download.
The Executive has refused to detail what problems have arisen during the tests that have begun on the Isle of Wight (southern England).
The newspaper Financial Times He suggested earlier this month that the government is working in parallel on a second application that will use the technology of the American Google and Apple, instead of being designed from scratch by British technicians.
MORE ABOUT THESE THEMES:
The United States recorded 1,255 new deaths from coronavirus and the total is now close to 95,000
Brazil recorded 1,188 deaths from coronavirus, a new record since the start of the pandemic